Each year, members from the Italiano Orchestra (only) may compete in the LYSO Concerto Competition. The winner will play his/her concerto with the Italiano Orchestra at the Spring Concert. Repertoire must be approved by the Italiano Orchestra Conductor through the application form (PDF). Some of the members who compete may be asked to perform their solo before the Spring Concert as pre-concert entertainment.
Concerto Competition Rules:
- Contestants will be required to play a movement from a concerto from standard orchestral repertoire or a composition of similar stature with an orchestral accompaniment which is readily available. If it is a rental piece of music, the winner will be asked to pay for 1/2 the cost of rental.
- Italiano Orchestra Conductor must have approved the selection prior to sending in the application.
- All contestants must be a current member of the Italiano Orchestra as of the fall semester.
- Contestants must supply their own piano accompanist for the competition.
- Two copies of the solo part must be supplied for the judges.
- Audition length may be limited, depending on number of applicants.
- Where the music calls for cadenzas, they must be performed.
- Former Concerto Competition winners are ineligible.
- Only one entry per person. Concerto must be played on instrument that member plays in the Italiano Orchestra (percussion players can play piano).
- The piece you play at the competition is the piece that will be performed.
No more than two winners performing different pieces will be chosen by a panel of independent judges. The Italiano Orchestra Conductor will not have a vote. Decision of the judges is final. The competition site will be open to the judges and LYSO staff only.
Application form: 2016-2017 Concerto Competition Forms (PDF)
Registration Deadline: December 18, 2016
Auditions: Sunday, January 8, 2017, during LYSO rehearsal
Audition Fee: $15.00 (non-refundable)
Concerto Performance: Spring 50th Anniversary Concert – Sunday, March 19, 2017